For me, everyday is a multiple cups of tea kind of day. Tea is my ultimate therapy for relaxation and yes, I really need good snacks and cookies to make my every tea-time delightful. In search of new flavour and taste, I keep on trying with snacks, cakes and cookies.
Recently, I participated in a recipe contest where the challenge was to create something interesting with whole wheat flour (atta). I have made enough sweet cookies and this time wanted to create something savory. This spicy crackers are the outcome of that challenge. Now, I have a container full and my tea-times are sorted for few days. A cup of piping hot tea and a bite of this amazingly tasty cracker – a blast of taste inside my mouth.
Speaking of these spicy crackers, they are amazingly delicious and healthy too. Filled with the goodness of whole wheat flour and sattu, and with the flavour of kasuri methi, this is definitely an amazing tea-time munch. This is a super easy cracker recipe and I bet, you will enjoy making it 🙂 Here’s the recipe for you all.
- 1.5 cup atta
- 1/2 cup sattu
- 1 table-spoon kasuri methi
- 1/2 tea-spoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon salt
- 1/2 tea-spoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 table-spoon melted butter to grease the baking tray
- Mix all the ingredients together (except melted butter) and knead a soft dough.
- Cut round balls from the dough, roll thin and cut crackers into desired shapes. You can also make the crackers fancy by cutting with cookie cutters.
- If you don’t have cookie cutters, you can just use a knife and cut out square or diamond shaped pieces.
- Pre-heat your microwave oven in convection mode on 180 °C for 7-10 minutes.
- Spread baking paper on a baking tray and grease with melted butter.
- Place the cut-outs on the baking tray carefully by keeping them atleast 2-3 centimeters apart.
- Unless you have a huge oven, you won’t be able to bake all the cookies at a time. No worries, bake them batch by batch.
- Place the baking tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 10 minutes on 180 ºC.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool down completely to the room temperature.
- Repeat the same process to bake all the batches.
- The Spicy Atta Cookies are ready now.
You can store them in an air-tight container for quite a long period of time. With the above mentioned ingredients I got 36 pieces of spicy crackers. The number depends on how big or small you cut them.
Enjoy this savory crackers and do drop me a comment giving your feedback about this recipe. You can also tag me on Instagram using the handle @when_a_bong_cooks. Happy eating!