In a lazy afternoon, I was in no mood for a grand cooking, yet was craving for something yummy. I thought of eggs and my mind drooled – afterall egg is my all time favourite. I started thinking of making eggs in an easy way, but it has to be yummy. As I love the flavour of Panch Phoron, I craved for that too. But again, we usually cook egg adding onion, garlic and lot of spices. Nevertheless, I decided to experiment eggs with Panch Phoron and not to add onion or garlic. This dish is the outcome of that lazy afternoon thoughts.
Panch Phoron is widely used in the cuisines of Eastern part of India and it’s full of flavour. It’s basically a combination of five incredible spices – fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and fennel seeds. The ingredients in Panch Phoron have huge health benefits and, the flavour and texture it brings to a dish, is incredible.
Today’s dish is all about this awesome spice blend and eggs.
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 5-6 green chillies vertically cut from the middle
- 1 medium sized potato chopped into 4-6 pieces
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 tea-spoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 1/2 tea-spoon coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 1/2 tea-spoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 table-spoon mustard oil
- salt (according to taste)
- Put vertical cut marks on the eggs and rub with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the eggs in lower flame for 2 minutes. Remove the eggs from oil and keep aside.
- Heat some more oil in the same pan and add Panch Phoron and green chillies. Saute till the spices become little brownish.
- Now, add chopped tomato and stir till the tomato becomes soft enough.
- Add 2-3 cups of water and cover the lid. Bring it to the boiling point.
- Now, slowly add the eggs and cover the lid again. Lower the flame and cook for 10 minutes.
- Your “Panch Phoroner Dim” is ready.
This is an ultimate comfort food and is best served with hot steamed rice. Cook and enjoy this with your loved ones because ‘Sunday ho yah Monday, roz khao ande’ 🙂
Please do let me know in comments about how you like this dish. Happy eating!