Palak Chicken is one of the healthiest and easiest chicken recipes. Spinach is rich in Dietary Fiber, Iron, Potassium and Vitamins like A, C and E. Chicken, on the other hand, is a very good source of Protein and Sodium. Just imagine the goodness this combination can bring to you. And who says ‘healthy foods are not tasty’? Try this recipe and you will fall in love with the taste and flavour.
Recently my dad was diagnosed with certain cardiac problem which was severe and he had to undergo Angioplasty. Post treatment his diet is very much restricted. Now when the focus is less on oil and spices, and more on nutritious food, I found this recipe most suitable for him. Also, being a foodie, my dad will not opt for any food that is not tasty – but believe me, he became a die heart fan of Palak Chicken too 🙂
So today let’s create this nutritious dish together.
- 300 gms spinach (palak)
- 500 gms curry cut chicken
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3-4 green chillies vertically cut from the middle
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 tea-spoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tea-spoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 1/2 tea-spoon coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 1/2 tea-spoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tea-spoon red chilli powder
- 2 table-spoon oil
- salt (according to taste)
- Wash the spinach properly. You can chop the leaves or can keep them intact. I personally prefer uncut whole leaves as this brings a very good texture to the dish.
- Rub the chicken pieces with little turmeric powder and salt and shallow fry till the pieces turns light golden brown. Remove from the pan and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add chopped onion and green chillies. Stir till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Sprinkle a little water and stir the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato and stir till it becomes soft.
- Now add the spinach leaves and mix well. Cover the lid and lower the flame. Cook till water starts leaving the spinach.
- Open the lid and add chicken pieces. Stir well and again cover the lid. Lower the flame and cook for approx 15 minutes.
- As both spinach and chicken leaves water, don’t add any extra water.
- After 15 minutes check if the chicken is soft enough. Once the chicken is properly cooked, your dish is ready.
- If you want gravy, let their be little water. If you want it dry, open the lid and stir for sometime until the water gets evaporated.
- Now when your Palak Chicken is ready, remove it in a serving vessel and enjoy with your loved ones.
This dish is best served with steamed rice. But if you make it without gravy, it can also go well with roti/chapatti. Enjoy the dish and don’t forget to leave a comment here – let me know how you like it.
Happy & Healthy eating!