This is one of the most delicious ways of poaching eggs, in Moroccan style. Tomato based sauce and gravy are usually very common in Middle eastern region and Shakshouka believed to has it’s origin in the Ottoman cuisine. This is rich in taste, flavourful, wholesome and most importantly, it’s very very easy to cook 🙂
Along with taste and flavour, this dish is packed with lot of health benefits. When eggs are awesome source of Vitamins, Phosphorous, Calcium and Zinc; tomatoes, on the other hand, are antioxidants and rich in Fiber and Potassium. Considering these facts it can be said that a plate full of Shakshouka can do wonders to your health and gives an intent energy boost. Have it in breakfast or brunch or you can enjoy this dish anytime with bread or with Pita / Khubz (Middle Eastern bread).
Let me share this super tasty recipe with you all 🙂 I have dared to add my little touch in it and made it little spicy.
- 4 eggs
- 3 large tomato diced
- 1/2 mid sized onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 tea-spoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 table-spoon oil (preferably olive oil)
- salt (according to taste)
- a handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Sautè it until the onion turns light brown.
- Now, add bell pepper and chopped green chillies and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomato, cumin powder and salt. Stir well and cover the lid.
- Lower the flame and cook till the tomato gets blended.
- Now, add the tomato puree and mix well. Cover the lid and again cook for 2 minutes.
- Open the lid and crack the eggs one by one into the sauce and cover the lid again. Lower the flame and poach the eggs for around 5 minutes or until the eggs get set well.
- Your Shakshouka is ready to be served now. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
As I told earlier, Shakshouka is best served with bread or Pita / Khubz. You can also have it Indian way with roti/chapatti/nan or as a side dish with steamed rice.
Enjoy this dish with your loved ones and do leave me a comment here. Happy eating!