Bengali cuisine has an abundance of recipes that use curd/yogurt as the primary ingredient. A dash of this fermented milk can add a twist to any dish. From vegetarian recipes to non-vegetarian, yogurt has a very special place in Bengali kitchen. Along with a tangy taste, the colour and texture it brings to a dish is just so amazing. We the Bengalis swear by our Mishti Doi, but we equally love the sour version as well and use it wholeheartedly in our recipes. Also, Bengalis’ love for eggplants are eternal and that reflect on how much we relish our Begun Bhaja.
Doi Begun is an easy and highly mouthwatering dish which is made by slow-cooking fried eggplant in yogurt gravy. With it’s spicy-tangy taste and aroma, this dish guarantees to satisfy your soul. Doi Begun is a traditional Bengali dish and, apart from regular consumption, it can be served in parties and potluck or as your weekend afternoon special dish 🙂
Doi Begun is a mildly spiced dish and goes amazingly well with piping hot rice. I sometimes add onion to it and that becomes, for Bengalis, a non-vegetarian version. But nevertheless, I love the no onion, no garlic vegetarian version more and thus sharing the same with you all. It is a truly hassle free dish and tastes heavenly. Also, I have not added any extra water to it. It’s better if you don’t add any, but, can add some warm water if needed. This is how I make it.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into approx 1 cm slices
- 1 tea-spoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon salt
- 2 table-spoon mustard oil + some more to fry eggplant
- 1/2 tea-spoon cumin seed
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 green cardamom, crushed
- 5 clove
- 1 table-spoon ginger paste
For The Gravy:
- 2 cup sour yogurt (properly whisked)
- 1 tea-spoon cumin powder
- 1 tea-spoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 tea-spoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- salt, according to taste
- Rub the eggplant slices with 1 tea-spoon turmeric powder and 1/2 tea-spoon salt. Marinate for around 15 minutes.
- Heat required oil in a pan and fry the eggplant slices on both sides until golden brown. Do not overdo. Remove and keep aside.
- Now, mix all the ingredients mentioned in For The Gravy section in a large bowl and beat everything properly. There should be no lumps in the mixture. Keep aside.
- Now, heat 2 table-spoon oil in a pan and temper with everything (except ginger paste) mentioned in For Tempering section. Allow them to splutter.
- Add ginger paste now and stir until raw smell goes off.
- Add the yogurt batter that you have just prepared to it and give a nice mix. Cover and let it cook over low to medium flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir cook until oil starts separating out.
- Add fried eggplant slices one by one very carefully and give a gentle mix. Cover and cook over medium flame for another 7 minutes.
- Your Doi Begun is ready to be served now.
Serve hot with piping hot rice and enjoy. Do try this and let me know in comments about how you like it. You can also tag me on Instagram using the handle @when_a_bong_cooks.