From past few months, I have been struggling with my previous oven as it had some functionality issues. The baker in me was kind of depressed as the baking days were approaching. Finally, the new oven replaced the previous one – Santa must have listened to my prayers 🙂 Baking is an art and I am not sure how good an artist I am, but I love it and so I keep trying it.
To inaugurate the new oven, I tried my hands on Custard Powder Cake. Normally people make this eggless, but my version has eggs in it. This is soft, moist, yummy and a perfect tea partner. I made a small cake, just enough for two people and this evening we had it and literally finished at one go. We are cake-crazy people you know 🙂 My house has already decked up for Christmas and New Year. Sitting by the Christmas tree, on my Bedouin style seating arrangement, in the midst of twinkling lights – a bite on this cake and a sip of steaming tea – nothing but Bliss!
Here’s is the recipe of my version of Custard Powder Cake. Mine was a small cake, if you want to make a bigger one, just increase the quantity of the ingredients.
- 5 table-spoon all purpose flour
- 4 table-spoon custard powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 table-spoon refined oil
- melted butter to grease the baking vessel
- 2 pinch baking soda
- 1 tea-spoon baking powder
- 5 drops vanilla essence
- Beat the eggs properly with refined oil and vanilla essence until blended. Keep aside.
- Mix all purpose flour, custard powder, powdered sugar, baking powder and baking soda together.
- For batter, pour the blended eggs on the dry mixture and whisk properly.
- Grease the baking vessel with butter and pour the batter. Even the upper surface of the batter with a spoon and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven in convection mode on 180 °C for 7-8 minutes.
- Place the baking vessel carefully in the centre of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes on 180 °C. The baking time may vary from oven to oven. Read your oven instructions properly.
- Once the baking time is over, insert toothpick to check if it is properly baked. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, bake it for some more time.
- Once it is done, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes. Your Custard Powder Cake is ready now.
You can have it immediately or can store it in an air tight container. It will last for atleast a week or so. Have it with a cup of hot steamed tea or coffee. Your winter evenings are waiting for this, what are you waiting for!
Do drop me a comment telling how you like my recipes. Happy eating and a Merry Christmas in advance!!!