The best way to deal with post-Diwali blues is to make yourself feel that it’s not completely over yet, and even if it is, that can’t stop you from having the awesome sweets and snacks that you like. My story is the same – Diwali is over and so are the sweets, but not my hankerings. Since morning I have been craving madly for having something sweet but didn’t have the time and energy to prepare anything that needs much effort. Suddenly the idea of Basundi clicked in my mind – the same recipe that I prepared few years back during Eid for my friends. That time I was not a very expert cook but Basundi won me some real good appreciations. So, remembering that day, with full on confidence, I entered my kitchen and recreated the taste again after so many years. I am so happy with the outcome, yet again.
Basundi is a very famous dessert of Western India and somewhat similar to the famous North Indian dessert, Rabri. Basundi is prepared by reducing milk and making it sweet. Unlike many others, I don’t prefer to use condensed milk for preparing Basundi. My recipe is simple and with minimum ingredients. Here’s the recipe.
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 3 table-spoon crushed almond
- 3 table-spoon crushed walnut
- 2 table-spoon crushed cashew-nut
- 4 table-spoon pomegranate (anar dana)
- 1/2 tea-spoon cardamom powder (elaichi)
- 1/2 tea-spoon cinnamon powder (dalchini)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 table-spoon sugar
- Heat the milk adding the bay leaves, cardamom powder and cinnamon powder. Reduce the milk to half by constantly stirring it on low to medium flame.
- Once the milk is reduced, remove the bay leaves.
- Add crushed almond, walnut and cashew-nut and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Stir it constantly.
- Now, add sugar and mix properly. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add pomegranate and cook again for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it set and come down to the room temperature.
- Refrigerate it for 1-2 hours and serve chilled.
Basundi is a super easy and hassle free dessert and doesn’t require any occasion to prepare. Prepare it for your loved ones and I am sure they are going to love it. Do drop me a comment telling how you like it.
Happy eating to you all!