Aam Pora Shorbot is a very popular Bengali summer cooler and is made by roasting raw mango. The smokey flavour of roasted mango creates something that is ultimate refreshing and cools you down instantly. In most Bengali households, during summer, this is served as a welcome drink to the guests. Also, one can have it before or after meal. This drink is absolutely amazing to keep you hydrated and gives an instant energy boost.
During summer, Aam Pora Shorbot is my family favourite and I make it very often. Always served chilled, my family always prefers it over any store-bought soft drink. And why not? This traditional drink is probably the best summer cooler one can ever have.
The process of making Aam Pora Shorbot varies from person to person. Some prefer it without mint or with very less mint. But, I always prefer it without mint and with some very basic ingredients, like roasted cumin seeds and black salt. Too much of spices can suppress the flavour of mango and I don’t want that. A little tangy, a little sweet and a little spicy – this drink is complete bliss. This is how I make my Aam Pora Shorbot.
- 2 medium sized raw mango
- 1 tea-spoon roasted cumin seeds
- 1 tea-spoon black salt
- 4 table-spoon sugar (adjust according to your taste)
- 2 cup chilled water
- as required ice cubes
- Crush the roasted cumin seeds to powder and keep aside.
- Roast the mangoes directly over the stove top until the skin turns completely black in colour. Remove and let them cool down completely.
- Peel off the burnt skin of the mangoes and extract the pulp. Discard the seed.
- Take the pulp, cumin seeds powder, black salt, sugar and water in a blender and grind until smooth.
- Pour in serving glasses and add ice cubes. Serve chilled.
Aam Pora Shorbot should always be served chilled. You can also store it in a glass jar or bottle and keep in the refrigerator for 2/3 days. Please note that with the above mentioned ingredients you should get 4 glasses of Aam Pora Shorbot.
Enjoy this authentic Bengali summer drink and do drop me a comment giving your feedback about this recipe. You can also tag me on Instagram using the handle @when_a_bong_cooks.
Happy Summer people!!!