Lemon Pepper Chicken – A Versatile & Delicious Chicken Dish
It was Monday and while I was coping up with my Monday blues, I was feeling lazy too. We both were at home and the better half bought some chicken from the market and demanded to have something which is not usual and not a typical Bengali chicken dish. It was not really a demand; rather requested 😛 being a smart guy he always prefers to request and thus manages to keep himself in a safe zone 😀 As the request came with a super innocent face, I could not say no. But, one thing I knew for sure and that is I will cook something which is really really brief.
The idea of Lemon Pepper Chicken came to my mind and that is something I absolutely love but have never cooked before. I am much into traditional Bengali dishes and this party-starter kind of dishes are really not my forte. I had this dish at a friend’s party and then in a restaurant. I loved the dish but never really though of trying at home. But since that was a Monday and I was feeling lazy and husband wanted to have something tasty and I wanted to cook something shortcut – I could not thing of a much better option than Lemon Pepper Chicken.
The recipe is an easy one and I already had it from my friend. I prepared the dish in no time and believe me, it was delicious. Here’s the recipe for you all.
- 300 gm chicken (curry cut)
- 4 green chillies, slitted
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt, according to taste
- 1/2 cup warm water (optional)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 7 whole black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- Wash and marinate the chicken for 1 hour with all the ingredients mentioned in For Marination section.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with all the ingredients mentioned in For Tempering section. Allow them to splutter.
- Add ginger and garlic and sautè until they change colour.
- Now, add the marinated chicken and give a proper mix. Check for the salt. If required, add more.
- Add green chillies and cover the lid. On a medium flame cook for 10 minutes.
- Now, open the lid and add water only if you want little gravy. If you want it dry, don’t add water.
- Cover the lid and cook on low to medium flame for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is properly done.
- Open the lid and add garam masala powder. Give a quick mix and turn off the flame.
- Cover the lid again and let it rest for 5 minutes. Your Lemon Pepper Chicken is ready to be served now.
Lemon Pepper Chicken can be served as a starter (if dry) and with little gravy it goes very well with roti/paratha or even with plain steamed rice or pulao.
Enjoy this delectable dish with friends and family and do drop me a comment giving your feedback about this recipe. You can also tag me on Instagram using the handle @when_a_bong_cooks.