Egg Sandwich – Calcutta Coffee House Style
Known as the hub of intellectual debates, Calcutta/Kolkata Coffee House needs no introduction. This iconic food joint is an integral part of Indian history and has witnessed many rise and fall while serving some best teas, coffees and sandwiches. Many Bengali scholars, writers and artists like Manna Dey, Mrinal Sen, Satyajit Ray, Aparna Sen, just to name a few, visited this place time to time and the place has been known for it’s “adda” (meeting and discussion) culture. The famous song of Manna Dey “Coffee House er sei adda ta aj ar nei…” was inspired by this place and the song is an iconic one.
The very thought of adda reminds me of my university days and thus, I dedicate today’s recipe to my friends and want to thank them for standing by me in my thick and thin.
Today’s egg sandwich is inspired by the sandwich that is being served in Coffee House since ages. This protein rich sandwich is a marvelous breakfast option. This is probably one of the most easy sandwich one can ever make, but, the innovation, taste and history makes it stand out of the crowd.
I had the luck of tasting the authentic Coffee House Egg Sandwich just once during my stay in Kolkata. After that, I have made this sandwich several times at home and it is super easy to make. A few research in the internet gave me the exact idea about the recipe. Though, white bread is typically used to make this sandwich, I took the liberty to change a little bit and use brown bread instead. Here’s the recipe of this utterly delicious and healthy egg sandwich for you all.
- 6 slices brown bread or regular bread
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 table-spoon butter
- 3 pinches black pepper powder
- salt, according to taste
- Chop the boiled eggs into small pieces and add butter, black pepper and salt. Mix them very well. The entire mixture should be mushy. Keep the mixture aside.
- Remove the hard edges of the bread slices.
- Spread good amount of egg mixture on one bread slice and cover with the other slice. Press lightly to set.
- Cut the stuffed bread slices diagonally and you will get two sandwich ready.
- Similarly, prepare the other sandwiches and serve with piping hot tea or coffee.
If you are a cheese lover, you can go ahead and add that. For the above mentioned quantity, just add 1 table-spoon of grated cheese with the egg mixture and you are good to go 🙂 Enjoy this delicious egg sandwich and do drop me a comment giving your feedback about this recipe. You can also tag me on Instagram using the handle @when_a_bong_cooks.